The City Attorney is responsible for legal advice to the City Council and the City staff.
The City Attorney assists with preparation and review of resolutions, ordinances, contracts, and other documents. This department also provides proactive legal advice to ensure that the actions by the City are legally defensible, comply with the most current state law, and minimize the potential for litigation.
Municipal court services and other services, such as a Resource Center, are provided to the City of University Place by Pierce County District Court. Learn more on the Court Services page.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Legal Services Questions
- Court Services Questions
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
- Miscellaneous Other Legal Services
- Can the City Attorney (or City Attorney staff) give me legal advice about a personal legal issue?
- Where can I obtain information about legal issues and services?
- Where can I find help in understanding legal terms?
- Where can I get help with my family law problem (divorce, separation, child custody, etc.)?
- Where can I find an attorney to represent me?
- Where can citizens who want to resolve disputes out of court get help?
- Where can I get help with my landlord/tenant problem?
- Does the City of University Place have a court system and related justice services?
- What Court do I contact when I get a traffic ticket or other criminal traffic and non-traffic citation in University Place?
- Does University Place Municipal Court handle other matters?
- What kinds of cases are handled in Pierce County Superior Court, and how can I obtain information about that Court?
- How can I obtain information about Washington State Courts?
- How can I obtain information about Federal Courts?
- What is the UPMC (University Place Municipal Code)? How can I access the City's Municipal Code (including the Zoning Code)?
- What is the Pierce County Code? Does it apply to University Place citizens?
- What are the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) and the WAC (Washington Administrative Code) and how can I access them?
- How can I obtain current information about bills before the State Legislature before they become law to be included in the Revised Code of Washington?
- Where can I look at the Washington State Constitution and the U.S. Constitution?
- Where can I get legal documents recorded?
- Where can I get a marriage license? How much does it cost? What is the waiting period? Are marriages performed by local Judges?
- Where can I obtain property tax information in Pierce County? How can I get a property legal description?
- Where can I get information about State branches of government and different department and resources?