The City of University Place Public Works Department is responsible for the operations and maintenance of the municipal separate stormwater system.
Staff work diligently to operate and maintain University Place’s stormwater system for efficient conveyance, storage, and in some cases, treatment of stormwater before it is discharged to surface or ground waters, to reduce localized flooding, decrease instances of erosion, and allow treatment processes to function properly.
Public Works Duties
Public Works is responsible for the inspection, operation, and maintenance of:
- Catch basins
- Culverts and channels
- Detention/retention ponds
- Miles of pipe and roadside ditches
- Miles of roads, sidewalks, curb and gutter
- Stormwater flow control and treatment facilities (vaults and filter vaults)
- Stormwater pump stations
Operations & Maintenance Activities
The following are examples of operations and maintenance activities:
- Clear debris from roadside ditches, inlets, outlets and culverts to prevent and alleviate flooding
- Inspect catch basins, flow control and treatment facilities
- Install and restore structures, pipes, culverts, ditches, etc.
- Manage vegetation in ponds, bio-retention swales, wetlands, ditches, and right of way
- Remove sediment and debris from roads, sidewalks, curb and gutter, structures, pipes, culverts, swales, ditches, etc.
- Respond to and clean up spills and illicit discharges