Please review the list of exemptions to determine if your business is exempt from the registration, license and/or license fee provisions of the City's Business Licenses and Regulation Code.
- Casual or isolated sales made by persons who are not engaged in the on-going business of selling the type of property involved, providing that not more than four (4) such sales events are made during any tax year.
- All businesses with gross annual revenues of less than $12,000.
- All businesses which are exempt from master business license registration under WAC 458-20-101(2)(a). To ensure your business is exempt from the State Business License, please contact the Washington State Business Licensing Service at 360.705.6741.
- Minors engaged in baby-sitting, delivery of newspapers, lawn mowing, car washing, and similar activities.
- Any instrumentality of the United States, State of Washington, or any political subdivision thereof, with respect to the exercise of governmental functions.
- All special events sponsored by the City, but not to include participating commercial peddlers.
- Non-profit organizations, including but not limited to religious, civic, charitable, benevolent, non-profit, cultural or youth organizations.
- Any person or business whose annual value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the business in the city is equal to or less than $2,000 and who does not maintain a place of business within the city shall be exempt from the general business license requirements in this chapter. The exemption does not apply to regulatory license requirements or activities that require a specialized permit.
- Any broker, managing broker or designated broker licensed under RCW Chapter 18.85; provided however, that a real estate firm as defined by RCW Chapter 18.85 with gross income exceeding the amount in subsection (H) from activities within the City of University Place, shall be required to obtain a business license under this chapter.