Question: Do I need a license to operate a business from my home in University Place?
Answer: Yes, starting January 1, 2003, Home Occupation Businesses located in the City of University Place are required to obtain a City Business License. Apply online through the Business Licensing Office or call 1.800.451.7985.
Question: Can the City Attorney (or City Attorney staff) give me legal advice about a personal legal issue?
Answer: No, the City Attorney represents the City government. The City Attorney must decline to assist citizens with individual legal problems. Please see the next FAQ for information about obtaining an attorney.
Questions: What Court do I contact when I get a traffic ticket or other criminal traffic and non-traffic citation in University Place?
Answer: Contact the University Place Municipal Court for information relating to traffic infraction. The phone number is 253.512.2258.
University Place Municipal Court
6000 Main Street SW
Lakewood WA 98499
Question: When are Council meetings held?
Answer: The City Council meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Mondays of the month for Regular Business Meetings. All City Council meetings are held in the Town Hall Meeting Room, located at City Hall, 3715 Bridgeport Way West. Each Council meeting is listed on the Event Calendar section of the website with a link to its agenda.
Question: Can I bring up an issue or comment at a City Council Meeting?
Answer: Yes, at the beginning of Regular Council meetings, under the agenda item "Public Comments," you may address the Council and comment on issues that concern you and are not on that evening's agenda for Council Consideration or Public Hearing. Although, separate opportunities are provided later in the meeting for comments concerning those issues. Public comments are limited to three minutes per person as Council must allow sufficient time to address a full business agenda. Please be aware that the comment period is an opportunity to provide comment, not a question and answer session.
Question: How do I find out what's on the next City Council Agenda?
Answer: Agendas are posted on the City's webpage, at the Library, and outside City Hall.
Question: Do you rent out your facilities?
Answer: Yes, we do rent out a variety of City facilities. Click here for a description of facilities that the City rents out.
Question: What are the City's hours of operation?
Answer: Regular office hours are Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Question: Where do I get a copy of a police report?
Question: I need to file a police report?
Answer: Call 253.798.4722, this will dispatch an officer to your location to take a report.
Question: How do I get a copy of a City ordinance or other City record?
Answer: City Ordinances, Resolutions, Minutes, Agendas, and the Municipal Code are available for viewing on the City's webpage by clicking on one of the links. You may also complete a Public Records Request form to obtain copies of these records or other city records. Contact the City Clerk's Office for more information.
Question: Does the City have a Business & Occupation (B&O) Tax?
Answer: No, there is no local B&O tax in the City of University Place.
Question: What are the guidelines for posting yard sale signs?
- The signs may be placed adjacent to the right-of-way with the property owner’s permission. (This means off to the side of the public right-of-way, not on the City mowing strip nor on the City sidewalk.)
- Yard sale signs shall not be posted sooner than 5 p.m. on the day prior to the sale and shall be removed immediately following the end of the sale.
- Yard sale signs must include the address where the yard sale is located and a date or dates of the sale.
- Signs for yard sales shall not be allowed for more than three successive calendar days in a 30-day period and shall be limited to advertising not more than three yard sales events in the same calendar year at the same location.
- A fine of $100 per yard sale sign which exceeds these provisions may be levied against the property owner where the sales are held.
- No private signs, including yard sale signs, are allowed on any street sign, utility pole, roundabout, street median, planter strip or sidewalk.
Call 253.460.5405 for more information.