Door to Door Sales in University Place

Do Solicitors/Peddlers in University Place need to be licensed?

Yes. Solicitation businesses must complete a solicitor license application and submit to the City. The permit is reviewed by various City Department Heads, including the Chief of Police. Additionally, an individual solicitor must receive a background check and approval of the Police Chief.
Are ALL representatives of a soliciting entity required to carry a license?

Yes. All solicitors are required to carry the license on their person while soliciting. It is good practice to ask to see this license and if there is no proof of a license neighbors can report activity to police by calling non-emergency at 253.798.4722 (24 hours).  Your police team has an interest in people disguising themselves as door to door salespeople. There are many legitimate vendors that use this method to sell things and there are many who simply use it as a cover and mean to do you harm. Plain and simple, if they don’t have a license we want to know about it.
Are there lawful times for a person to peddle and solicit?

October 1 through April 30 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. of any day
May 1 through September 30 between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. of any day
If you are getting people at your door outside of these time frames please report it to non-emergency (24 hours) at 253.798.4722.