Business License FAQ

Question: Do I need a City Business License if I have a business in the City of University Place?
Answer: Yes, effective January 1, 2003 all businesses operating within the City of University Place are required to obtain a City of University Place Business License. Some exemptions apply. Click one of the following links for the fee schedule, list of exemptions or to view the complete Business Licenses and Registration Code. You may also contact the Business Licensing Office for more information at 253.566.5656.

Also check with the State to make sure you are complying with all State licensing requirements. You may reach the Washington State Business Licensing Department at 360.705.6741. In addition, please continue to use the Sales Tax Location Code of 2719 when reporting on your excise tax return form.

Does the City have a Business & Occupation (B&O) Tax?
Answer: No, the City does not have a Business & Occupation Tax.

Do I need a license to operate a business from my home in University Place?
Answer: Yes, since January 1, 2003, Home Occupation Businesses located in the City of University Place are required to obtain a City Home Occupation Business License. Contact the State of Washington Business Licensing Service by calling 360.705.6741.

Do I need a special license for peddling or soliciting in University Place?
Answer: Yes, a Peddler/Solicitor License is required for peddling/soliciting activities. Applications are available through the Peddler/Solicitor webpage or in the Business Licensing Office at City Hall.

How much does a Peddler/Solicitor License Cost?
Answer: A Master Peddler/Solicitor License costs $50 for each calendar year. Individual or Agent Under Master Peddler/Solicitor Licenses cost $25 for each calendar year.